Varicose veins are one of the oldest diseases. The question of how and how to treat varicose veins on the legs, and now hundreds of people are asked.
Today, the treatment of varicose veins in the legs has become accessible to everyone.
Modern medicine offers a variety of methods to combat this disease.
The heaviness of the legs and frequent swelling of the lower limbs, then the appearance of multiple spider veins signal the appearance of varicose veins. The main cause of the disease is a sedentary lifestyle. It is no coincidence that in most cases the problem of varicose veins on the legs is faced by people whose professional activity consists of sitting for a long time in one place - salespeople, drivers, office workers. , hairdressers, etc. Poor physical activity causes stagnation of blood in the veins, and as a result, symptoms of varicose veins appear. However, this is far from the only factor that can cause varicose veins in the legs:
- Lift heavy objects;
- Changes in hormonal levels during pregnancy or puberty;
- Long-term use of hormones;
- Wear tight clothes that strongly compress the vessels on the legs (tight tights, jeans, tight knee-highs or socks).
Doctors also point out that the habit of crossing the legs while sitting is also bad for the health of the veins.
Stages and symptoms
Before treating varicose veins on the legs, it is necessary to determine the stage of the course of the disease. Fortunately, varicose veins have a number of characteristics that help catch the problem early. Specialists in the field of phlebology distinguish 4 stages in the development of varicose veins:
- Step 1.External modifications of the limbs are observed: sinuous veins protrude on the legs and thighs, red and vascular "stars" appear. In the evening, the legs may swell a little;
- 2nd step.Swelling and a feeling of heaviness in the legs increase. At night, especially after physical exertion the night before, cramps, numbness and tingling in the calf muscles may appear;
- Step 3.Swelling of the legs becomes a constant phenomenon, seals, pigmentation and dermatitis begin to form on the lower extremities;
- Step 4.The skin becomes covered with trophic ulcers.
Despite the fact that at the initial stage it is difficult to recognize the disease due to the lack of varicose veins as such, external changes in the legs should alert you and prompt you to see a doctor. Treatment of varicose veins is prescribed by a phlebologist after an ultrasound. The results of this study help to determine the stage of spread of the disease, which allows the specialist to understand which method will be most effective in a particular case.
According to medical statistics, some symptoms of varicose veins are observed in about 70% of residents of developed countries. This requires the development of new treatments for varicose veins. To date, this disease is proposed to be treated with medication, surgery and physiotherapy. In folk medicine, the following procedures are actively used to get rid of varicose veins forever:
- Sclerotherapy.The sclerosant is injected into the damaged veins, which "freezes" their walls. Subsequently, the veins dissolve and their function in the bloodstream is transferred to healthy elements;
- Laser therapy.The most popular treatment for varicose veins. A lasting positive effect is obtained in 98% of cases. The mechanism of action is similar to sclerotherapy, only a laser is used here;
- Venectomy.It is a surgical removal of damaged veins. After surgery, patients are forced to wear compression garments for 2 years to restore normal blood circulation;
- Hirudotherapy.Leeches have a positive effect on the veins, helping blood clots to dissolve.
The methods described above, although they are effective in the question of how to treat varicose veins on the legs, are not shown to everyone.
So, for example, during pregnancy and in the early stages of the development of the disease, doctors prescribe conservative methods of treatment: wearing compression underwear, taking medication and special gymnastics to improve blood circulation.
Cardinal treatment of varicose veins can be avoided if the disease was detected in the early stages of development. Simple preventive measures will help not only to stop the progression of varicose veins, but also to prevent its occurrence in people who are forced to lead a sedentary lifestyle. They are as follows:
- Food.The inclusion of vegetable oils and fish oil in the menu, as well as products containing vitamin F, will strengthen the walls of blood vessels and cope with excess weight - a common cause of varicose veins;
- Massage and contrast shower.In the evening, after a hard day's work, perform a light massage or a contrast shower for your feet, pouring them first with warm and then cold water;
- Sporting activities.Moderate physical activity 2-3 times a week will keep your legs healthy. Doctors advise to focus on jogging, swimming and cycling;
- Walk barefoot.When leaving town or at sea, do not miss the opportunity to walk barefoot on the sand or the grass. It perfectly relaxes the muscles of the legs and at the same time increases the tone of the veins;
- Wear comfortable shoes.Avoid wearing tight shoes or too tight tights and socks. The more uncomfortable you feel, the greater the pressure in the vessels and the greater the risk of blood clots in the veins.