Massage helps normalize blood circulation and improve tissue trophism. It is used as a complementary therapy for many diseases. Is it possible to massage the legs with varicose veins and what rules should be followed?
In which cases massage is prescribed for varicose veins
Varicose veins are a vascular disease in which the walls of the veins are stretched and thinned. Increased blood circulation and massaging movements in some cases can only aggravate the course of the disease. Such a procedure is especially contraindicated in the late stages of varicose veins.
With a mild form of vasodilation, it is allowed to perform therapeutic massage, which is aimed at stimulating the flow of blood. It should only be performed by a specialist and in a more careful manner than a healthy person.
Massage therapy completes and does not replace the main treatment. The procedure is carried out in stages, observing the technique of execution.
How does massage work?
Foot massage for varicose veins provides:
- Good blood circulation in the affected area.
- Restoration of soft tissue trophism and improvement of nutrient supply.
- Strengthen the muscles of the limb.
- Increased vascular tone.
- Reduces fatigue and tension in the legs.
- Blood outflow and edema reduction.
The physical effects are often combined with folk remedies.
In order for massage with varicose veins to give the desired effect, you need to properly prepare for it. It is recommended to respect the following conditions:
- The optimal time for the procedure is in the morning. This is best done after therapeutic exercises, when the muscles are already warmed up and ready for physical action.
- Movements should be light and painless.
- Before the massage, the patient should lie down for 10 minutes with the legs raised to reduce the swelling of the lower limbs.
- Exclude the presence of hypertension, fever, exacerbation of an allergic reaction.
There are several techniques that can achieve a massage effect. Some of them use special massage devices or devices, while others only use manual action.
The procedure is carried out using strong pressure of water from the shower. The water temperature should be hot. It is advisable to use the contrast when changing from a warm setting to a cool setting. The pouring is done smoothly, from bottom to top.
Special jars for this type of procedure can be purchased at a pharmacy or medical stores. Cupping massage is also called vacuum. This technique is authorized for the prevention of varicose veins or at the first stage of venous dilation. With severe pathology, it is impossible to use banks, since strong pressure can damage the already fragile wall of blood vessels.
The result is achieved through a vacuum effect that stimulates blood circulation in the selected area. This technique is also very popular for combating cellulite and edema, as it effectively eliminates congestion, pain and normalizes metabolic processes.
If the doctor authorized such a massage for varicose veins, it is easy to do it at home. To do this, the skin is smeared with petroleum jelly, with the help of a lighted cotton swab, the air is removed from the box and fixed on the problem area.
Suitable for the treatment of the initial stages of varicose veins. At home, it can only be done after the doctor has shown the correct technique of execution.
- The patient is seated. One leg is straight, the other is bent at the knee.
- The member is warmed by gentle caresses from bottom to top. Movements over the entire limb should be continuous. Perform 5 repetitions.
- Knead the problem areas with your fingers. The pressure should not be strong. The movements are repeated until the appearance of redness of the skin and a feeling of heat.
- At the end of the procedure, you need to shake your leg several times. After that, a massage is performed on the second limb.
Many videos describe in detail the technique of massage for varicose veins at home. In addition, hirudotherapy and folk remedies are popular among patients.
Any massage technique has an anti-cellulite effect. However, massage of varicose veins of the lower extremities can not include strong pressure and blows. The techniques of lymphatic drainage and honey will be optimal.
Lymphatic drainage is performed only by qualified personnel using special medical equipment. The healing effect is achieved by varying the air pressure on the problem area. Many modern clinics use the LPG massage technique to combat spider veins, edema and varicose veins. The therapeutic effect lasts for several months.
Honey massage helps improve tissue trophism mainly due to the beneficial properties of honey. It is also recommended here to reduce the strength, however, the nutrients in the product will help to significantly increase the result of the procedure. Honey massage is allowed if the technique of execution does not contradict the basic rules of the procedure.
Exotic massages (Thai, Japanese and Tibetan techniques) for varicose veins are not recommended.
It is allowed to massage the feet on an ad hoc basis or with the help of a varicose vein massager. In this case, the foot should be free from edema. The massage is performed with light stroking movements without pinching or active friction. Before that, it is advisable to do a hot foot bath.
Characteristics of classic massage
Massage is recognized as an effective method to fight against many diseases.
The positive results of the procedure are confirmed by both traditional medicine and Ayurveda.
A qualified massage therapist is able to give a person strength and improve their well-being without the use of drugs.
The classic technique is considered to be gentle movements that capture a large area of the skin and muscle tissue. The strength of the action increases slightly in the middle of the procedure, and at the end of the procedure it gradually decreases to zero.
The main rule of classical massage is that the movements should be carried out from the periphery to the lymph node. The technique begins by warming the body, then moves on to treating problem areas. Stages of the procedure: stroking, rubbing, kneading, vibrating.
With the appearance of varicose asterisks or the expansion of deep veins, all stages should be performed more carefully and with minimal force.
On the Internet you can find a lot of video materials about classical massage for different parts of the human body.
Is it possible to do a massage for varicose veins yourself? The patient should be aware that poor performance technique or concomitant diseases can lead to serious complications. The following conditions are considered to be contraindications to massage:
- Increase in body temperature.
- Inflammatory processes.
- Infectious diseases.
- The presence of open trophic ulcers.
- Exacerbation of allergic reactions.
Only a doctor can authorize the massage after a visual examination of the patient and an evaluation of the results of his analyzes. This is especially true for pregnant patients.
The following recommendations will help prevent venous insufficiency and vascular problems:
- Watch your weight. A sharp decrease in body weight indicates a lack of nutrients and negatively affects the condition of blood vessels. Obesity, in turn, is dangerous because it creates a constant increased load on the veins and causes loss of strength and elasticity.
- Avoid repetitive postures. If you are sedentary, take regular breaks and walk.
- Women should wear comfortable shoes. According to the recommendations of doctors, the heel should not exceed 5 cm.
- Get enough vitamins and drink at least 1. 5 liters of water per day.
- Do not delay going to the doctor. A feeling of heaviness and discomfort in the groin or limbs are the first symptoms of vascular problems.
Before buying a foot massager for varicose veins, you should consult a specialist. The doctor will tell you if it is possible for you to massage for varicose veins and will also recommend the optimal technique. It is quite easy to improve vascular health in the early stages of the disease.
You can watch a video lesson on how to massage the legs with varicose veins or not self-medication, but sign up for a session at a specialized clinic. Experienced specialists will perform the required procedure correctly and safely, possibly using modern electric massagers.